The AMOS Mortar System (Advanced MOrtar System), is a turreted, double barreled breech-loading 120mm mortar.
Its designed to be mounted on wheeled or tracked APC chassis and on fast combat boats.
It is able to operate autonomously with impressive firepower, including direct and indirect fire capability together with Multiple Rounds Simultaneous Impact (MRSI).
AMOS Mortar Development
Patria Hägglunds has no production activities of its own, but is responsible for co-ordination of the further development and international marketing of the AMOS new generation mortar system.
AMOS Mortar Description
Due to turret mounting AMOS has a full 360-degree field of fire at elevations between -3 to +85 degrees. Thus, AMOS is capable of both direct fire for selfprotection and conventional indirect fire.
Ammo used in AMOS is conventional smooth bore mortar 120 mm fin-stabilised ammunition with a short stub case added.
AMOS crew normally consists of four men: driver, commander, gunner and loader. Of these, commander and gunner are seated in the turret.
Thanks to its electronic equipment AMOS is capable of fully independent operation, but traditional optomechanical aiming methods are retained as back up
- High rate of fire due to double barrel concept
- Direct fire capability
- Rapid deployment due to instrumentation for vehicle location and attitude; well suited for shoot & scoot tactics
- Ballistic protection against infantry weapons and splinters
- Muzzle blast and NBC protection Low chassis loads due to recoiling mechanism; suitability for both wheeled and tracked chassis
- Suitability for all standard 120 smoothbore mortar ammunition as well as smart guided ammunition
- Full 360° traverse without limitations due to turret mounting and recoil mechanism
AMOS Mortar Operators
Finland – Patria AMV
Sweden – Strf 9040 (Combat Vehicle 90)
AMOS Mortar Specifications
|Main Gun||Dual 120mm Mortars
Elevation -3? to +85
|Ammunition Storage||x? 120mm|
|Top Road Speed||n/a|
|Length Gun Forward||?m|
|Weight||?kg aka ? tonne combat|
|Active Protection Systems||n/a|